Associate Category Manager
Hudson’s Bay Company is one of the fastest-growing department store retailers in the world. In North America, HBC’s leading banners include Hudson’s Bay, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Gilt, Saks OFF 5TH, Find @ Lord & Taylor, and Home Outfitters. In Europe, HBC’s banners include GALERIA Kaufhof (the largest department store group in Germany), Galeria INNO (Belgium’s only department store group), and Sportarena. At HBC we are a company of adventurers who explore uncharted territory, challenge convention, and work with imagination and fun.
The Associate Category Manager is responsible for managing the day to day performance and merchandising of the total category to deliver sales and profit objectives and own the online strategy for a subset of the business. ACM is the primary contact with Buyers and Assistants on execution of merchant business strategies.
• Support Category Manager in area to achieve the sales and margin plans of the product category. Is responsible for delivering results for area of business
• Collaborates with merchants and HBC Digital to own and execute all business strategies for focus area
• Participate in vendor negotiations in new business/category opportunities for online expansion while meeting financial targets and strategic goals.
• Participate in building assortment decisions, pricing and marketing strategies for online category/brands targeted for the Hudson’s Bay customer.
• Recommends tailored assortments, including special online-only buys and exclusive categories
• Conduct eCom business reviews, communicating financial results against P&L expectations. Provide post-season learnings from analyses.
• Tracks and analyzes sales and inventory performance and makes recommendations on actions to improve results
• Prepares materials for and leads regular merchant meetings – reviewing sales results, inventory opportunities, upcoming launches and promotions, corrective actions, etc.
• Develops digital merchandising priorities/creative briefs for weekly content, editorial, email and social media
• Partners with Site Merchandising on execution strategies to ensure business objectives are met
• Understands and interprets site analytics & marketing results to inform both short term actions and long term strategies
• Collaborates with Fashion Editors, Merchants, Core Marketing and/or Vendors to execute all creative projects, including overseeing content-related sample and asset collection
• Ensure that product that is used in promotions and features is live and has the appropriate levels of inventory
• Tracks the competition and has awareness and knowledge of assortment, site experience, and promotional strategies
• Post-secondary degree in Business or related field
• 2+ years of experience in Buying/Merchandising, Category Management or Merchandise Planning.
• Strong financial acumen, including understanding of financial metrics (including sales, gross profit, etc.)
• Strong negotiation skills with Vendors; partnership agreements and terms
• Have an understanding of and passion for digital retail landscape
• Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines with strong organizational skills
• Strong attention to detail, accuracy and follow-through
• The willingness and ability to adapt to new business practices
• Excellent writing, speaking, and presentation skills
• Strong aptitude to work within deadlines, both independently and as part of a team
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel and Power Point) and the ability to quickly learn internal systems, processes and additional software/web-based applications
• Working knowledge of platform systems and site analytics tools (ex: Google Analytics and Adobe Omniture)