Hudson’s Bay Company is one of the fastest-growing department store retailers in the world. In North America, HBC’s leading banners include Hudson’s Bay, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Gilt, Saks OFF 5TH, Find @ Lord & Taylor, and Home Outfitters. In Europe, HBC’s banners include GALERIA Kaufhof (the largest department store group in Germany), Galeria INNO (Belgium’s only department store group), and Sportarena. At HBC we are a company of adventurers who explore uncharted territory, challenge convention, and work with imagination and fun.
Maximize sales and profitability of a given area of business through the development and implementation of a strategy, analysis and appropriate reaction to sales trend. Overall support of the company sales, gross margin, and turnover objectives.
Role responsibilities include:
1. Differentiate us to our competition
2. Profile target customer to ensure merchandise is appealing and meaningful for the customer
3. Develop and execute seasonal merchandise plans and pricing strategies by introducing newness and understanding that merchandise is constantly changing
4. Provide department direction and priorities, and communicate effectively to merchant team
5. Complete accurate forecasts evaluating financial components based on current trend, knowledge of future events and trends which will impact the business
6. Develop assortment plans which support departmental objectives and a key value items focus
7. Maintain collaborative partnerships and negotiate effectively with vendors and internal colleagues
8. Provide input into marketing plans and promotional calendar
9. Reconcile marketing plans with assortment and financial plans
10. Provide input on visual presentation guidelines for the stores to support seasonal strategies
11. Develop merchandise strategy for department/category and aligns to corporate objectives
12. Provides input to and implements post-season learnings from Merchandise Planning and Analytics analyses
Train, motivate and develop team to ensure effective performance and growth through consistent on-the-job-training
The successful candidate should have a passion for fashion, a pulse on trends, and an understanding what customers want to buy. This role requires an individual with good negotiation skills and an ability to develop and maintain strong vendor relationships. He/she must be flexible and able to multi-task and make decisions quickly. The successful candidate will be a change agent who is flexible, resilient, and able to thrive in a dynamic, rapid paced environment. He/she will embody a culture of taking smart risks and innovating to win.
- 3-5 years’ experience in buying
- Experience with planning, forecasting and allocation
- Understand the customer and the market
- Ability to develop, plan and execute strategies
- Good negotiation skills and vendor relationships
- Effectively deal with all levels of management
University/College Degree is required, preferably in relevant discipline.