Senior Manager, US Payroll
Who We Are:
HBC is a diversified global retailer, focused on driving the performance of high quality stores and their all-channel offerings, growing through acquisitions, and unlocking the value of real estate holdings.
Founded in 1670, HBC is the oldest company in North America. Our portfolio today includes formats ranging from luxury to premium department stores to off price fashion shopping destinations, with more than 480 stores and over 66,000 employees around the world.
Our leading banners across North America and Europe include Hudson’s Bay, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Saks OFF 5TH, Galeria Kaufhof, the largest department store group in Germany, and Belgium’s only department store group Galeria INNO.
We have significant investments in real estate joint ventures. HBC has partnered with Simon Property Group Inc. in the HBC Global Properties Joint Venture, which owns properties in the United States and Germany. In Canada, HBC has partnered with RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust in the RioCan-HBC Joint Venture.
A truly global corporate citizen, HBC is committed to responsible business practices to bring about positive change, and we work hard to shape a sustainable future for people and the planet. Our philanthropic initiatives help create healthy families, strong communities, and sport excellence in the cities and countries in which we operate around the world, while striving to create innovative programs and resources that provide flexibility for work-life balance in order to maintain a positive working environment.
What This Position Is All About:
This position is responsible for the day-to-day management and execution of HBC’s US payroll function. The position will be responsible for the design, maintenance and enforcement of policies related to US payroll, including financial controls and reporting.
The position will provide subject matter expertise and oversight to payroll processes and procedures including payroll taxes, garnishment, and wage distribution for payroll payments for US payrolls. This position will also design strategies for continuous improvement in payroll processes and collaborate with cross-functional team (Human Resources, Compensation, Benefits, Taxation, and Legal) on company initiatives that impact payroll.
Who You Are:
• The successful candidate should have a proven and quantifiable track record of success in delivering results within a large complex organization.
• Ability to quickly assess a new environment and develop solutions that support the business strategy, critical objectives, and cultural norms.
• Creative with a strategic mindset along with the ability to turn concepts into action.
• You have strong relationship building and influence skills.
• A change agent who is flexible, resilient, and able to thrive in a dynamic, rapid paced environment. Embody a culture of taking smart risks and innovating to win.
You Also Have:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Tax or a related field. Master’s Degree (MBA) preferred
• Professional Accounting Designation Preferred (eg., CPA, CPP)
• Full knowledge of payroll mechanics, year-end processes, payroll tax filings, and functional reporting
• A minimum of 5 years of experience with a multi-jurisdictional payroll having multiple FEIN’s (5000+ employees)
• Experience with Oracle Fusion Payroll and ADP is preferred
As the Senior Manager, US Payroll, You Will:
Act as process owner for US payroll
Serve as subject matter expert in US payroll, including payroll tax and reporting. Provide assistance to Human Resources and other functional areas in regard to payroll for changes in legislation and projects (e.g. RIFs) as well as systems / technology changes to adapt to changing regulations for US payroll
Work with the North American and offshore payroll processing teams to ensure accurate and timely payroll processing and reporting, in compliance with all regulatory guidance in support of US payroll. This includes ensuring compliance with applicable tax and wage/hour laws.
Ensure associate and management inquiries related to payroll taxes are addressed and resolved in a timely manner
Assist in managing employee related issues, which includes overpayment, late pay, and deductions
Work to continuously improve the payroll function, and explore opportunities for streamlining, efficiency improvement and cost reduction
Work with ADP to ensure accurate filing and payment of employment taxes for all US banners. This includes periodic, quarterly, and annual filings. This includes the accurate and timely filings of year-end W2’s and W2-c’s.
Responsible for maintaining accuracy of the payroll data in ADP
Oversee registrations for tax purposes (Federal, State, local)
Responsible for overseeing the payroll garnishment operation and related activities
Review the calculation of appropriate deduction amounts from payroll checks, including tax withholdings and other garnishments and special deductions (i.e., child support)
Work with the offshore payroll processing team to ensure compliance with applicable tax and wage/hour laws for the US payrolls
Assist in handling associate related inquiries, which include overpayments, late payments, garnishments, and related pay
Support internal audits and external audits for US payrolls, including any jurisdictional audits by local, state, and federal agencies
Collaborate with cross-functional team (Human Resources, Compensation, Benefits, and Legal, Taxation, etc.) on company initiatives that affect US payroll including design and implementation of new systems, policies and processes
Collaborate with IT on any projects or initiatives that impact payroll applications
Work with IT to address / resolve technical issues impacting payroll systems
Oversee system patches / upgrades to Payroll systems
Your Life and Career at HBC
:• Be part of a world-class team; work with an adventurous spirit; think and act like an owner-operator
• Exposure to rewarding career advancement opportunities, from retail to supply chain, to digital or corporate
• A culture that promotes a healthy, fulfilling work/life balance
• Benefits package for all eligible full-time employees (including medical, vision and dental)
• An amazing employee discount