Who We Are:
HBC is a diversified global retailer, focused on driving the performance of high quality stores and their all-channel offerings, growing through acquisitions, and unlocking the value of real estate holdings.
Founded in 1670, HBC is the oldest company in North America. Our portfolio today includes formats ranging from luxury to premium department stores to off price fashion shopping destinations, with more than 480 stores and over 66,000 employees around the world.
Our leading banners across North America and Europe include Hudson�s Bay, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Saks OFF 5TH, Galeria Kaufhof, the largest department store group in Germany, and Belgium�s only department store group Galeria INNO.
We have significant investments in real estate joint ventures. HBC has partnered with Simon Property Group Inc. in the HBC Global Properties Joint Venture, which owns properties in the United States and Germany. In Canada, HBC has partnered with RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust in the RioCan-HBC Joint Venture.
A truly global corporate citizen, HBC is committed to responsible business practices to bring about positive change, and we work hard to shape a sustainable future for people and the planet. Our philanthropic initiatives help create healthy families, strong communities, and sport excellence in the cities and countries in which we operate around the world, while striving to create innovative programs and resources that provide flexibility for work-life balance in order to maintain a positive working environment.
What This Position Is All About:
The Application Developer designs, codes, and tests custom application code for HBC Digital�s systems supporting 4 retail sites. Saks.com, saksoff5th.com, LordandTaylor.com and TheBay.com.
Who You Are:
- You get things done by engaging in high level teamwork and flexing your interpersonal skills.
- You have strong relationship building skills, and are able to communicate effectively with senior management across numerous departments.
- You thrive in an environment that stresses the value of innovation and proactive process optimization.
- You are flexible and can adapt to change well.
- You should be a highly driven and results oriented individual, comfortable in a dynamic, fast-paced and changing environment.
You Also Have:
- Bachelor�s Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent professional experience, required.
- 3+ years� experience in a professional software development organization
- 3+ years of experience in an enterprise IT organization strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Object-Oriented analysis and design required.
- Experience with eCommerce systems, especially the Escalate Retail (AKA Blue Martini) Commerce platform, Demandware or Websphere Commerce a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Java required, and demonstrated proficiency with at least one other object-oriented programming language such as Scala, Akka, Clojure or other JVM programming language is preferred.
- Knowledge of SQL required; experience with Oracle, MongoDB, Redis or other NoSQL database experience as a plus.
- Demonstrable knowledge of test-driven development strategies and tactics, and experience with applying these tools and techniques preferred.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency with commonly used Internet technologies (HTTP, web services, XML, etc) required.
- Experience with Unix-like operating systems such as Linux or Solaris preferred.
- Demonstrable knowledge of and hands-on experience with Agile software development methodologies preferred.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of revision control systems such as SVN, Subversion and Git preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency with a high-level scripting language such as Python, Ruby, or Perl a plus.
- Knowledge of common enterprise technologies such as MQSeries or message brokers a plus.
As the Application Developer, You Will:
- Have your tasks prioritized and assigned at the management level, but will be expected to take ownership and show initiative in order to achieve resolution.
- Play a role in contributing to a knowledge base as you learn about the behavior of HBC Digital�s existing systems, and help to choose and define the behavior of new systems and subsystems.
- Participate in ad-hoc teams, reaching across organizational boundaries in order to do so.
Your Life and Career at HBC:
- Be part of a world-class team; work with an adventurous spirit; think and act like an owner-operator.
- Exposure to rewarding career advancement opportunities, from retail to supply chain, to digital or corporate.
- A culture that promotes a healthy, fulfilling work/life balance.
- Benefits package for all eligible full-time employees (including medical, vision and dental).
- An amazing employee discount.
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.