Director, North American Payroll
Who We Are:
HBC is a diversified global retailer, focused on driving the performance of high quality stores and their all-channel offerings, growing through acquisitions, and unlocking the value of real estate holdings.
Founded in 1670, HBC is the oldest company in North America. Our portfolio today includes formats ranging from luxury to premium department stores to off price fashion shopping destinations, with more than 480 stores and over 66,000 employees around the world.
Our leading banners across North America and Europe include Hudson’s Bay, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Saks OFF 5TH, Galeria Kaufhof, the largest department store group in Germany, and Belgium’s only department store group Galeria INNO.
We have significant investments in real estate joint ventures. HBC has partnered with Simon Property Group Inc. in the HBC Global Properties Joint Venture, which owns properties in the United States and Germany. In Canada, HBC has partnered with RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust in the RioCan-HBC Joint Venture.
A truly global corporate citizen, HBC is committed to responsible business practices to bring about positive change, and we work hard to shape a sustainable future for people and the planet. Our philanthropic initiatives help create healthy families, strong communities, and sport excellence in the cities and countries in which we operate around the world, while striving to create innovative programs and resources that provide flexibility for work-life balance in order to maintain a positive working environment.
What This Position Is All About:
This position is responsible for oversight and management of HBC’s North American payroll function for all banners (US and Canada). The incumbent will be the Global Process Owner (GPO) for payroll and will have ownership and accountability for payroll activities, including those performed by the HBC India payroll team. The position will be responsible for the design, maintenance and enforcement of policies related to US and Canadian payroll, including financial controls and reporting.
The position will be the payroll subject matter expert and oversees payroll processes and procedures including payroll taxes, garnishment, and wage distribution for payroll payments for both US and Canada. This position will also design strategies for continuous improvement in payroll processes and collaborate with cross-functional team (Human Resources, Compensation, Benefits, Taxation, and Legal) on company initiatives that impact payroll.
Who You Are:
• The successful candidate should have a proven and quantifiable track record of success in delivering results within a large complex organization.
• Ability to quickly assess a new environment and develop solutions that support the business strategy, critical objectives, and cultural norms.
• Creative with a strategic mindset along with the ability to turn concepts into action.
• You have strong relationship building and influence skills.
• A change agent who is flexible, resilient, and able to thrive in a dynamic, rapid paced environment. Embody a culture of taking smart risks and innovating to win.
You Also Have:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Tax or a related field. Master’s Degree (MBA) preferred
• Professional Accounting Designation Preferred (eg., CPA, CPP)
• Full knowledge of payroll mechanics, year-end processes, payroll tax filings, and functional reporting
• A minimum of 6 years of experience in a leadership role with a multi-jurisdictional payroll having multiple FEIN’s (5000+ employees).
• Working experience with both US and Canadian payrolls
• Experience with Oracle Fusion Payroll and ADP is preferred
As the Director, North American Payroll, You Will:
• Act as Global Process Owner (GPO) for payroll (US / Canada).
• Serve as subject matter expert in regard to all aspects of payroll, including payroll tax and reporting. Ensure payroll participation in all corporate initiatives with an impact on US or Canadian payroll.
• Provide assistance to Human Resources and other functional areas in regard to payroll for changes in legislation and projects (e.g. RIFs) as well as systems / technology changes to adapt to changing regulations
• Work with the North American and offshore payroll processing teams to ensure accurate and timely payroll processing and reporting, in compliance with all regulatory guidance in North America (US and Canada). This includes ensuring compliance with applicable tax and wage/hour laws.
• Ensure associate and management inquiries related to payroll taxes are addressed and resolved in a timely manner
• Assist in managing employee related issues, which includes overpayment, late pay, and deductions
• Track and report Payroll performance metrics / KPIs to key business stakeholders
• Supervise and develop onshore payroll staff
• Work to continuously improve the payroll function, and explore opportunities for streamlining, efficiency improvement and cost reduction
• Manage HBC’s relationship with all third party vendors supporting payroll, including ADP
• Work with the payroll third party vendor (ADP) to ensure accurate filing of employment taxes for all US banners. This includes periodic, quarterly, and annual filings. This will include the accurate and timely filings of W2’s, W2-c’s, and T-4’s.
• Responsible for maintaining accuracy of the payroll data in ADP
• Oversee registrations for tax purposes (Federal, State, Provincial, local)
• Oversee all payroll audits (US and Canada), both internal and external. This includes audits of state, local, and federal agencies.
• Collaborate with cross-functional team (Human Resources, Compensation, Benefits, and Legal, Taxation, etc.) on company initiatives that affect payroll (US / Canada) including design and implementation of new systems, policies and processes
• Collaborate with IT on any projects or initiatives that impact payroll applications
• Work with IT to address / resolve technical issues impacting payroll systems
• Oversee system patches / upgrades to Payroll systems
Your Life and Career at HBC:
• Be part of a world-class team; work with an adventurous spirit; think and act like an owner-operator
• Exposure to rewarding career advancement opportunities, from retail to supply chain, to digital or corporate
• A culture that promotes a healthy, fulfilling work/life balance
• Benefits package for all eligible full-time employees (including medical, vision and dental)
• An amazing employee discount
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.