Location: New York City
The Merchandise Assistant is a role within Merchandising reporting to the Buying Team.
Hudson’s Bay Company is one of the fastest-growing department store retailers in the world. In North America, HBC’s leading banners include Hudson’s Bay, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Saks OFF 5TH, Find @ Lord & Taylor, and Home Outfitters. In Europe, HBC’s banners include GALERIA Kaufhof (the largest department store group in Germany), Galeria INNO (Belgium’s only department store group), and Sportarena. At HBC we are a company of adventurers who explore uncharted territory, challenge convention, and work with imagination and fun.
The Merchandise Assistant works with the Buying Team to assist with clerical tasks and data entry related to specific merchandise departments of the company. The MA primarily assists the Buying Team by properly setting up new items on the database, accurately inputting price changes, creating purchase orders on line, and assisting with the development of weekly sales reports. The position requires frequent communication with other members of the buying team as well as with vendors, distribution centers, and stores.
Role responsibilities include:
1. Completes assigned task thoroughly, accurately and on a timely basis. Pays attention to detail.
2. Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks. Adapts easily to changes in workload and assignment.
3. Exhibits proper phone etiquette; communicates in a professional and courteous manner.
4. Effectively communicates with external sources; responsive to customer issues and store requests.
5. Actively follows through with stores to ensure that RTV's and Transfers are processed in a timely manner.
6. Works cooperatively with others. Displays a positive attitude and a willingness to assist co-workers at all levels. Adapts to and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups.
7. Demonstrates initiative; anticipates needs of business/office and responds accordingly.
8. Contributes to the success of the department.
9. Eager to learn and assume additional responsibility. Enthusiastically develops new skills; seeks out new and efficient ways to perform tasks
The successful candidate should be a respected and proven thought leader in merchandising, and planning, with a quantifiable track record of success in delivering results within a large complex organization. He/she must have strong business acumen, and the ability to quickly assess a new environment and develop solutions that support the business strategy, critical objectives, and cultural norms. He/she must be creative with a strategic mindset along with the ability to turn concepts into action. He/she must have strong relationship building and influence skills. This role requires a player/coach mentality, capable of thinking strategically as well as rolling up one’s sleeves and getting into the work. The successful candidate will be a change agent who is flexible, resilient, and able to thrive in a dynamic, rapid paced environment. He/she will embody a culture of taking smart risks and innovating to win.
• Detail oriented
• Good organizational and clerical skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong computer skills - preferably MS Word and Excel
• Sense of urgency flexibility ability to multi-task
• Willingness to learn
University or college degree.