Associate Counsel (Real Estate)
location NEW YORK , New York
, United States
Job Opened January 11th, 2019
Education Doctorate Degree
Job Number 1900006X
Job Type Full Time
Who We Are:
HBC is a diversified global retailer, focused on driving the performance of high quality stores and their all-channel offerings, growing through acquisitions, and unlocking the value of real estate holdings.
Founded in 1670, HBC is the oldest company in North America. Our portfolio today includes formats ranging from luxury to premium department stores to off price fashion shopping destinations, with more than 480 stores and over 66,000 employees around the world.
Our leading banners across North America and Europe include Hudson’s Bay, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Saks OFF 5TH, Galeria Kaufhof, the largest department store group in Germany, and Belgium’s only department store group Galeria INNO.
We have significant investments in real estate joint ventures. HBC has partnered with Simon Property Group Inc. in the HBC Global Properties Joint Venture, which owns properties in the United States and Germany. In Canada, HBC has partnered with RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust in the RioCan-HBC Joint Venture.
A truly global corporate citizen, HBC is committed to responsible business practices to bring about positive change, and we work hard to shape a sustainable future for people and the planet. Our philanthropic initiatives help create healthy families, strong communities, and sport excellence in the cities and countries in which we operate around the world, while striving to create innovative programs and resources that provide flexibility for work-life balance in order to maintain a positive working environment.
What This Position Is All About:
This Real Estate Legal Counsel role will report to the Senior Vice President, Associate General Counsel and will play an integral part in the Real Estate Leasing, Acquisition, Disposition and Development. He/she must have strong business acumen and be able to lead and influence individuals and teams, while driving results through teamwork and collaboration.
The ideal candidate would have been a Real Estate lawyer with five to eight years of retail leasing and development with large commercial retail real estate experience. This position will support all HBC banners, Saks Fifth Avenue, Saks OFF FIFTH, Lord & Taylor, Hudson’s Bay, and Home Outfitters and will report directly to the SVP, Associate General Counsel Real Estate. He/she will need to be passionate about retail/real estate. The candidate must be a people person, excellent communication skills, strong analytical skills, and will be comfortable innovating and inspiring. He/she will also need to be a strong collaborator and influencer with all levels of the organization, and a strong influencer with external real estate partners. This is a high visibility role and requires a motivated individual with a sense of ownership and demonstrated high performance in previous roles.
Who You Are:
• 5-8 years of experience in commercial retail real estate leasing, acquisition, disposition and development
• Extensive experience leasing, drafting and negotiating retail leases, subleases, amendments and termination agreements is critical
• Extensive experience in reviewing, drafting and negotiating real estate development/acquisition or disposition documentation
• Active membership in the NY State Bar required
• Excellent academic and law firm credentials
• Experience in a dynamic in-house environment preferred
• A passion for providing unparalleled client service
• An innovative approach to legal issues in support of strategic business initiatives and objectives
• A high level of professionalism and outstanding business judgment
As the Legal Counsel - Real Estate, You Will:
• Prepare and negotiate complex retail leases and related documents
• Provides real estate legal advice to the organization, prepares legal opinions and charts analyzing complex real estate documents
• Provide legal support for real estate acquisitions and dispositions.
• Provide legal support for real estate related disputes and litigation.
Your Life and Career at HBC:
• Be part of a world-class team; work with an adventurous spirit; think and act like an owner-operator
• Exposure to rewarding career advancement opportunities, from retail to supply chain, to digital or corporate
• A culture that promotes a healthy, fulfilling work/life balance
• Benefits package for all eligible full-time employees (including medical, vision and dental)
• An amazing employee discount
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.